This post was updated on .
Windows OS FAQ and Troubleshooting
Q: How to set up/install the app on Windows?
Go to our website, login to the dashboard, scroll down to “Shadowsocks setup” and follow the instructions for Windows. I recommend using the subscribe link to add in the servers.
Q: How can I change server location?
Find the paper airplane icon on the bottom right corner of your screen (the tray). Right click to open the menu, then go to Servers -> UltraVPNs, and choose a server from the list.
Q: Speed is slow. What can I do to speed up my internet connection?
Try another server. You can check the server speeds on our website under the “server looking glass” page.
Also, make sure that auto-balance is turned off.
If the speed is still slow, your ISP might be throttling traffic on the port you are using. Restart your router and modem to get a fresh IP address and then the throttling should stop.
Q: I can't access the internet.
Most common reasons:
1)Your subscription has expired. Purchase a new one.
2) You are using the old servers. Update the list to the latest servers (see below).
Make sure you have the latest servers as some will get blocked and will be replaced. To update to the latest list, right click on the paper airplane icon, go to Server Subscribe -> Update subscribe SSR node (bypass proxy). Of course, this will only work if you have added the subscribe link to your app.
- If it's the first time setting up the app on your PC, it's possible that the configuration has an error. Make sure you follow closely the installation instructions and use the subscribe link to add in the servers.
- If the VPN suddenly stopped working and it used to work before, then try changing to a different server. Also try updating the servers (see above).
- If none of the servers work, its possible it's an issue with your local internet. Try disconnecting from the VPN and go to a chinese site (like baidu.com) to see whether your internet connection works without VPN. If it still doesn't work, that means it's not the VPN itself that has the issue, but your local internet connection. Try reconnecting to the wifi. If that still doesn't work, restart your computer and your internet router. Try updating your servers to the latest version (see above).
- If after all of this the VPN still doesn't work, then it is highly likely that your subscription has ran out. Login to your website dashboard and check your subscription expiration date on the right of the page.
Q: I get a 500 Internal Privoxy Error. What should I do?
First, try to refresh the page or load another website. If you keep seeing this error then the most common cause is entering your password incorrectly or entering the wrong settings. Follow the instructions closely and make sure your password is entered correctly (case sensitive). An upper-case I, lower-case l, and number 1 may look very similar in your pdf document, check this carefully, or copy and paste the password from the PDF file. Shadowsocks will not tell you if you entered the wrong password, it will still appear to be connected successfully.
Q: Some programs don’t work with the vpn. What should I do?
By default, most web browsers, email clients, and other programs will use the system proxy settings. Chrome and IE don't have their own proxy settings, they will use the system settings (unless you have installed a browser extension that controls the settings).
Some programs have their own proxy settings, which you need to set. This setting can usually be found in the advanced options for most programs.
Firefox is one example that will not automatically use the system proxy settings. For some versions of Firefox, you need to open the advanced settings and change the proxy settings.
Choose "Use system proxy settings." Auto detect will not work.
If choosing system proxy settings doesn't work in your app, you can manually change the settings to server 127.0.0.1 port 1080. However, if you do it this way, then the proxy will always be used even if you change the mode to disable system proxy.
|Free forum by Nabble - Resume Templates||Edit this page|